Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Darkest Day of the Year Approaches

I don't like the "disorder" part of "seasonal affective disorder". (also, what a shitty acronym!). I feel pretty affected by how much sunlight/daylight i'm getting but i don't really feel the need to paint it as some huge flaw of mine, or as a horrible weakness. I just spend more time in bed, expect a little less of myself, rely on my friends a little more to keep me going.

And, that's the thing i've been figuring out lately. I spent some time reading old journals, thinking back over the past few years, and the times when i've been really unexcited about everything, right down to existing in the first place, are times when i'm not spending quality time with other human beings.

Winnipeg has been tough because i'm not super close to many people here yet. (other than a certain amazing person who i love dearly).

I miss being able to walk down the street and hang out in the kitchen with a bunch of other kids who also don't work and like to hang out and make art and play music. I miss the ones who are always making things and finding reasons to get people together, I miss that one who's always joyfully making strange things out of ceramics, i miss that one who stayed up all night telling me wonderful stories about his family, i miss that one who checked in on me when i seemed particularly depressed, i miss the one who crisply and politely asked the most direct questions, i miss the one that would get so excited about everything and play fiddle like a madman, i miss all the kids taking photos and lovingly documenting things, i miss the one i played very old nintendo games with, i miss the calm, joyful way those other ones were ready to subvert everything, as though it was only natural to do so, i miss the strange electronic creations of my favourite computer genius, i miss the one i often drank tea with, listening to their complicated and wonderful analyses of class and oppression, i miss that one that i made a rap album with, who lovably does whatever the fuck she wants, i miss that one who seemed so quiet and complacent but always remembered the crowbar when we went where we weren't supposed to, i miss the one who couldn't walk down the stairs from my apartment without jumping most of them and doing a ninja-like 360 on the way down, i miss that one who introduced me to the idea of listening to two tapes at the same time, and the one i played ping pong in the bathroom with, and the ones who dressed up ridiculously just to go stand on the corner and confuse people. just to name a few.

These are the people that reflect my excitement back to me and keep it alive. these are the people whose actions excite me. I miss you all dearly.

5 comments:

Riot said...

That was such a sweet post! I like how I have a pretty good idea of who half the people you mention are, and the rest I feel like it doesn't matter, and the descriptions can apply to lots of people.
SAD is not only the stupidest acronym, but surprisingly one of the most debilitating.
Oh dude, let's be pen pals!

Laurie Storrie said...

I miss you tons!
Whats your address, I have a present for you. Not a Christmas present, just an I like you present.

the face said...

You are greatly missed too my old friend.

Uhtceara said...

this is the best.

Neil said...

We still never beat the game...but dammit we tried.